Saved a client from the company who was supposed to help them.
My client had a name brand network attached storage drive (a backup drive). It stopped working. We called the manufacturer and they referred us to their authorized associate who repairs these devices. Without looking at the drive this associate’s representative quoted “at least $4,000” to recover the data. I asked my client if I can take a look at the drive and see what I can do. I opened up the drive housing and removed the drive. I connected it to a computer using an external connector. All the data was there and accessible. It was the drive’s housing which had failed, not the drive itself. After a few hours we had the data back on another computer. I saved my client thousands of dollars and a lot of aggravation. I saved his data too.